Monday, January 30, 2012

The Story of Tin&Pan

So we've had a few inquiries regarding our name, Tin & Pan. "What does it mean?" "Who made it up?" or simply, "I don't get it."

It's quite simple, really. I'm Tin and he's Pan. Why? We don't know. Nathaniel is just a really long name. Don't get me wrong, I love it...but it's not really suited for moments when I really need his attention. For instance, if we're driving down the road and a child runs out in the street, taking the time to say a three-syllable name could be a matter of life and death. And we're quite partial to children and don't prefer to run them over, so we needed a nickname. I tried Thaniel for awhile, but that was too much like Daniel and was confusing people. Then we tried Than, and I liked it. You can put almost anything on the end of it and it makes you laugh. Thanster, Than-a-roni and cheese, Thanbottom, Thanny-boo. It worked for me. One day, Pan came out instead of Than, and we laughed harder and liked it better. It's moments like those when I'm sure he thinks, "I'm so glad I found you, cause I would feel so bad for anyone else who was stuck with you." So, long story short, Pan stuck. (Variations include, but are not limited to: Panzer, Panner, Panel, Panzel, or my favorite, Pansel in distress).

Now...Tin is pretty easy to wrap your mind around. My name is Kristen. And though I am not a Tin, but rather a Ten, who really pronounces Kristen as Kris-Ten. No one. Therefore, Tin is a suitably silly nickname I have lovingly acquired by many a roommate, sibling, and friend.
Alas, Tin & Pan came to be the name of our blog. I think it's fitting, too, that we write about food because we like to use pans when we cook and aluminum foil is shiny like things made out of tin...so, I mean, it works. Tin & Pan, two peas in a pod, two kooks in the kitchen(haha get it??).

Well, I hope that clears up any confusion and doesn't make it worse. Try one of our favorite after-school snacks to clear your mind!

Yummy Apple-Cinnamon, Cheesy Bagel Melt (sound gross? Trust us, it will change your world)

1 bagel (we use plain, but I bet cinnamon-raisin would be yummy, too)
1/2 an apple, cored
1 slice of cheddar cheese
a few dashes of cinnamon

Cut your bagel in half. Slice your apple into thin strips that they can lay nicely on top of your bagel. Distribute apple slices evenly on top of bagel halves. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of the apples. Lay slices of cheese on top and place under the broiler for about 60 seconds or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Enjoy with a glass of Cran-Rasp juice!

1 comment:

  1. That's so darling, maybe I can find some equally adorable version for Andrew

    ReplyDelete